There is nothing more relaxing than a great massage, but finding the time to go, not to mention the money to pay for it, can be a little difficult. That may help explain why foam rolling has become such a big hit in recent years, especially among those who have a physical job or workout routine. Foam rollers come in all shapes and sizes, are incredibly portable, and can provide muscle relief at an affordable price. The benefits of foam rolling go way beyond just helping those who spend countless hours in the gym, though. I am currently dong the Body Beast fitness program which involves a lot of heavy weight lifting. This constant pounding of heavy weights can really take a pounding on my 45 year old muscles and connective tissue! Thank goodness for my Foam (Rumble) Roller , as it has been a critical component to keeping me injury free (knock knock) through out my regimen. With that said, let’s take a closer look at some of the benefits of foam rolling and how it may be able to help you.
1. Helps prevent injuries – it’s no surprise that athletes and gym rats are so enamored with the benefits of foam rolling, especially since they can help prevent a number of common injuries. When the muscles become too tight, it can lead to painful injuries that are tough to recover from. Foam rollers help to loosen those muscles and prevent all manner of sprains and tears that might otherwise occur.
2. Helps align the spine – a misaligned spine can lead to an incredible amount of pain, not to mention the inability to do even the simplest of tasks without discomfort being present. One of the major benefits of foam rolling is that it can help align the spine so that those types of issues don’t arise. This is not something that is just for athletes, with the spinal benefits of foam rolling extending to those who simply have bad posture.
3. Helps increase blood flow – even if you just participate in the lowest level of amateur sports, you are probably well aware of the need to warm up before engaging in physical activity. Among the many benefits of foam rolling is an increase in blood flow that can be generated by 15-20 minutes rolling before exercise. If you are a little out of shape to begin with, warming up can tax your energy quite a bit, which is not something that will happen with rolling. Who knows, maybe one of the benefits of foam rolling will be you having more energy at the end of a game than the folks you are playing against.
4. Helps you stay flexible – if you are one of those folks that groans and moans any time you have to bend or stretch, you will probably love the benefits of foam rolling. Another great one is that it helps maintain a high level of flexibility, especially if a large portion of your day is spent sitting at a desk.
5. Help you stay stress free – it’s not everyone that sees a massage therapist to get rid of aches and pains. For many, it’s simply a way to rid them of the stress of the day. One of the top benefits of foam rolling is that it has the same effect as having a massage. The stress literally rolls away as the benefits of foam rolling course through your entire body.
Cost Considerations – If you haven’t yet experienced the benefits of foam rolling, you can do so without breaking the bank. Most good quality foam rollers can be found in the $20 – $30 range, which is not a big price to pay for the many benefits of foam rolling. If you are really adventurous, you’ll try the Rumble Roller which is featured above. The Rumble roller is a little more pricey and will run you about $50-$60, but is so much more effective than a regular foam roller. This is a foam roller on steroids! It has hard spiked nubs that really help to penetrate deep into the muscle tissue. It hurts so good!
Here’s a P90Xs video featuring Tony Horton demonstrating the Rumble Roller.
In This Together,
Coach Eric Hollingsworth P90X, PiYo Certified Fitness Coach MotivatedFitness@me.com