Extremely simple… fantastically delicious!
OK, many of you have had chicken and green beans, but what is that stuff that looks like tiny balls? Well, I’m glad you asked. It’s called Quinoa (pronounced “Keenwa”).
The above shot is courtesy of one of my good friends, Elizabeth. She actually introduced me to Quinoa.
So, what does quinoa taste like?
The taste and texture of quinoa is a bit like brown rice crossed with oatmeal. It’s fluffy, creamy, crunchy and somewhat nutty, all rolled into one. The great thing is, it can be prepared in so many different ways, making it extremely versatile. Quinoa is commonly thought of as a grain, probably because of how we use it, however it’s actually a relative of leafy green vegetables, like spinach and swiss chard.
- A cup of quinoa will give you around 127 calories, 2 grams of fat, 23.4 grams of carbohydrates (2 of those being fibre), and 4.5 grams of protein.
- In fact, it has a pretty similar nutritional profile to that of brown rice, except it’s slightly higher in overall protein content.
- Quinoa is a really great option if you’re trying to maintain an active lifestyle.
How do you cook Quinoa?
- Wash the seeds in cold, running water to remove any residue.
- To cook, add one part quinoa to a saucepan, with two parts liquid (Water, Chicken Broth, Vegetable Broth, etc).
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer covered.
- One cup of quinoa normally takes 15 minutes to prepare.
- You’ll know it’s ready when the grains become translucent, and the white germ has partially detached itself.
Rice Cooker Method:
The easiest way is in a rice cooker. All you need to do is follow the manufacturer’s instructions for steaming white rice. Since quinoa does expand a bit more than rice (it goes to at least three times the size) make sure that you cook an appropriate amount of quinoa into your steamer so that you don’t overflow it. While every rice cooker is unique, it will generally take somewhere between 15 and 20 minutes to cook quinoa in a rice cooker.
Yours in Success,
Work with me. Leaders Only
P.S. If you’re FINALLY ready to get COMMIT to being the absolute BEST possible version of YOU, contact me and lets work together to help you achieve your dreams!
P.P.S. If you got ANY value out of this post, then click the like buttons below and share it someone you know!
In This Together,
Coach Eric Hollingsworth P90X, PiYo Certified Fitness Coach MotivatedFitness@me.com