Total: 20 minutes
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: about 1 cup)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup thinly sliced turkey smoked sausage (about 6 ounces) **
- 1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
- 3/4 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles, undrained (such as Rotel)
- 8 ounces peeled and deveined medium shrimp ***
- 1 (15-ounce) can organic kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat.
- Add bell pepper, sausage, and garlic to pan; sauté 3 minutes or until bell pepper is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add broth and tomatoes; bring to a boil.
- Stir in shrimp and beans; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 6 minutes or until shrimp are done.
- Sprinkle with parsley. (I topped this particular dish with brown rice *** and cilantro garnish)
- Fat: 6g (sat 1.7g,mono 2.7g,poly 1g)
- Protein: 21.3g
- Carbohydrate: 13.2g
- Fiber: 3.5g
- Cholesterol: 97mg
- Iron: 2.9mg
- Sodium: 694mg
** A good friend of mine took this recipe and modified it by replacing the sausage with shredded roasted chicken, trading kidney beans for chickpeas and added kale.
*** If you are watching your cholesterol, go ahead and remove the shrimp
**** You can replace the brown rice with Quinoa to slightly increase the protein
Bottom Line, remember, food CAN be both Nutritional AND Tasty! Experiment with the ingredients above see what combination works best with your taste buds AND nutritional goals.
Yours in Success,
Work with me. Leaders Only
P.S. If you’re FINALLY ready to get COMMIT to being the absolute BEST possible version of YOU, contact me and lets work together to help you achieve your dreams!
P.P.S. If you got ANY value out of this post, then click the like buttons below and share it someone you know!
In This Together,
Coach Eric Hollingsworth P90X, PiYo Certified Fitness Coach MotivatedFitness@me.com